Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kat Von D - Beethoven Palette Review & Swatches

Pros:

Colors: What initially attracted me to this palette were the gorgeous and very well put together variety of shades. (I was particularly excited about the deep blue and purple ones!) Normally whenever I purchase a palette I tend to only like a couple of the colors - however, I find all of these not only beautiful but extremely wearable for both day and nighttime looks. A huge A+ for versatility!

Texture: Another wonderful thing about this product is the combination of both mattes and shimmers. I really like that because I tend to combine the two when I am putting together a look as too much shimmer does not look good on my crepey old lady eyes :)

Packaging: The packaging is very nice and sleek and beautifully decorated with stars and roses - anotherwords it very much looks like something Kat Von D would carry around. As an extra bonus the mirror is nice and large although there is absolutely no point at all to the mini brushes it comes with...but then again when do any palettes come with good brushes? If anybody knows of any please do share!

Cons:

There are two cons to this palette although one of them happens to be a rather large con which really takes away from the major props I would have given this product otherwise. The major con is the tremendous amount of fallout these shadows contain. Now, although annoying, fallout usually doesn't bother me that much because there are definitely things you can do to deal with that sort of thing like loose powder around the eyes, etc. etc. however these shadows are just a bit out of control to the point where you have to be very very careful that the dark colors don't mix in with the light colors because they fly everywhere!

Another con is the somewhat chalky and crumbly texture of the shadows which I can somewhat handle because they are decently pigmented.

Anyway, in the end it is a nice collection of colors to own but the quality definitely needs alot of improvement. If Ms.Von D/Sephora ever decides to improve upon the formula I would gladly purchase the rest of the palettes that she has to offer. Until then I will stick to what I have.


See below for product photos and swatches.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a great review!!! i love the way you pointed out pros and cons. thanks

Marlo said...

Thanks so much! I ADORE your blog btw.